Liviu-Daniel Ștefan is a PhD candidate with the Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest (UPB), and a researcher with the AI Multimedia Lab, CAMPUS Research Center, UPB, Romania. His research interests cover deep learning for multimedia classification, and multimedia / video / image processing and analysis for various applications, e.g., video surveillance, medical diagnosis, etc. He has been a member of the organizing team for several benchmarking campaigns (e.g., ChaLearn ICPR Multimedia Information Processing for Personality & Social Networks Analysis Challenge), conferences (e.g., ACM ICMR 2017, ICPR workshops 2018, CLEF 2021) and part of the research team of several Romanian/EU funded research projects.
Responsible with the research and development of AI modules and systems.
- 2020–2024: Project H2020 AI4Media. “A European Excellence Centre for Media, Society and Democracy”;
- 2020–2022: Project SMARTRetail. “Enhancing and Improving Customer Experience and Services in Supermarkets via SMART Artificial Intelligence Powered Systems”;
- 2020–2022: Project GRAVI. “Virtual Guardian: Artificial Intelligence Powered Multi-Sensor System for Automatic Securing of Areas of Interest”;
- 2020 April–2020 July: Project Hana 2. “Financial Data Augmentation and Forecasting Using Advanced AI Techniques”;
- 2020 March–2020 October: Project Keysight 1. “Machine Learning Techniques for Generating Network Traffic Data”;
- 2019 May–2019 December: Project NXP 1. “RISC V-based Hardware-Software System for Machine Learning Applications”;
- 2017–2020: Project SPIA-VA. “Technologies and Innovative Video Systems for Person Re-Identification and Analysis of Dissimulated Behavior”;
- 2017–2018: Project SPOTTER. “Real-time IP Camera-based Intelligent Video Surveillance Security System with DROP Retrieval”;
- 2016–2018: Project Erasmus+ CBHE UMETECH. “University & Media Technology for Cultural Heritage”.
Responsible for several laboratories.
- 2019–2020: Computer Vision Fundamentals, postgraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2018–2019: Image Analysis and Processing, undergraduate cycle, Industrial Engineering and Robotics Faculty, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2016–present: Computer Programming — C language, undergraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2016–present: Data Structures and Algorithms — C language, undergraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest.
- 2019 September–2020 September: Entrepreneurship training courses, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Romania;
- 2017 November 6–15: Innovation challenge for PhD Students And Researchers, EIT Raw Materials Academy, Trento, Italy;
- 2017 February–2017 July: Researcher at University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Institute of Information Systems of the HES-SO Valais-Wallis, MedGIFT Lab, Sierre, Switzerland;
- 2016–present: PhD studies in electronic engineering telecommunications and information tehnologies, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Romania;
- 2014–2016: Master’s degree in multimedia technologies in biometrics and information security applications, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Romania;
- 2009–2012: Bachelor’s degree in economics, Faculty of Economics, Bucharest, Romania.
- 2017: Finding and Classifying Tuberculosis Types for a Targeted Treatment, in the ImageCLEFtuberculosis task. The goal of this task was to assess the probability of a TB patient having resistant form of tuberculosis based on the analysis of chest CT scan — best run ranked 3rd out of 23 runs.
Papers reviewer / subreviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing;
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications;
- MDPI Sensors–Open Access Journal;
- Scientific Bulletin of Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Series C, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACMMM) [2019, 2020];
- European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR) ;
- International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM) ;
- International Conference on MultiMedia Modeling (MMM) ;
- IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality (IEEE AIVR) ;
- Multimedia Evaluation Benchmark Workshop (MediaEval) ;
- International Workshop on Research & Innovation for Secure Societies (RISS) [2019, 2020].
- 2021: Member in the organizing comittee for the Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum (CLEF);
- 2020: Member in the organizing comittee for the ImageCLEFdrawnUI task, ImageCLEF, part of the Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum (CLEF);
- 2019: Member in the organizing comittee for the Predicting Media Memorability Task, MediaEval Benchmarking Initiative for Multimedia Evaluation;
- 2018: Co-organizer of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Multimedia Information Processing for Personality & Social Networks Analysis Challenge;
- 2017: Member in the organizing committee of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR).
Welcome to my webpage. Here, I will share my thought about the research I’m conducting, tutorials for various technologies and tools, and code samples for in...