Liviu-Daniel Ștefan is a researcher with the AI Multimedia Lab, CAMPUS Research Institute, and a collaborator with the Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest (UPB), Romania. His research interests cover deep learning for multimedia classification, and multimedia / video / image processing and analysis for various applications, e.g., video surveillance, medical diagnosis, etc. He has been a member of the organizing team for several benchmarking campaigns (e.g., ChaLearn ICPR Multimedia Information Processing for Personality & Social Networks Analysis Challenge), conferences (e.g., ACM ICMR 2017, ICPR workshops 2018, CLEF 2021) and part of the research team of several Romanian/EU funded research projects.
Responsible with the research and development of AI modules and systems.
- 2021–2023: “Platform Specialized in Identifying and Evaluating Early Warning Indices for Crisis Management”;
- 2021–2023: Project DeepVisionRomania “Identifying People in Video Streams using Silhouette Biometrics”;
- 2021–2023: Project IDENEO “Identifying the Unusual Behavior of People in Video Streams”;
- 2020–2024: Project H2020 AI4Media. “A European Excellence Centre for Media, Society and Democracy”;
- 2020–2022: Project SMARTRetail. “Enhancing and Improving Customer Experience and Services in Supermarkets via SMART Artificial Intelligence Powered Systems”;
- 2020–2022: Project GRAVI. “Virtual Guardian: Artificial Intelligence Powered Multi-Sensor System for Automatic Securing of Areas of Interest”;
- 2020 April–2020 July: Project Hana 2. “Financial Data Augmentation and Forecasting Using Advanced AI Techniques”;
- 2020 March–2020 October: Project Keysight 1. “Machine Learning Techniques for Generating Network Traffic Data”;
- 2019 May–2019 December: Project NXP 1. “RISC V-based Hardware-Software System for Machine Learning Applications”;
- 2017–2020: Project SPIA-VA. “Technologies and Innovative Video Systems for Person Re-Identification and Analysis of Dissimulated Behavior”;
- 2017–2018: Project SPOTTER. “Real-time IP Camera-based Intelligent Video Surveillance Security System with DROP Retrieval”;
- 2016–2018: Project Erasmus+ CBHE UMETECH. “University & Media Technology for Cultural Heritage”.
Responsible for several laboratories.
- 2019–2020: Computer Vision Fundamentals, postgraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2018–2019: Image Analysis and Processing, undergraduate cycle, Industrial Engineering and Robotics Faculty, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2016–present: Computer Programming — C language, undergraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest;
- 2016–present: Data Structures and Algorithms — C language, undergraduate cycle, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Polytechnic University of Bucharest.
- 2019 September–2020 September: Entrepreneurship training courses, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Romania;
- 2017 November 6–15: Innovation challenge for PhD Students And Researchers, EIT Raw Materials Academy, Trento, Italy;
- 2017 February–2017 July: Researcher at University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Institute of Information Systems of the HES-SO Valais-Wallis, MedGIFT Lab, Sierre, Switzerland;
- 2016–2021: PhD studies in electronic engineering telecommunications and information tehnologies, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Romania;
- 2014–2016: Master’s degree in multimedia technologies in biometrics and information security applications, Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technology, Romania;
- 2009–2012: Bachelor’s degree in economics, Faculty of Economics, Bucharest, Romania.
- 2017: Finding and Classifying Tuberculosis Types for a Targeted Treatment, in the ImageCLEFtuberculosis task. The goal of this task was to assess the probability of a TB patient having resistant form of tuberculosis based on the analysis of chest CT scan — best run ranked 3rd out of 23 runs.
Papers reviewer / subreviewer
- IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing;
- ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications;
- IEEE Access;
- MDPI Sensors–Open Access Journal;
- Scientific Bulletin of Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Series C, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
- IEEE Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision ;
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia (ACMMM) [2019, 2020, 2021, 2022];
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR) ;
- European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR) ;
- ACM International Conference on Multimedia- -Open-Source (ACMMM22-Open-Source) ;
- International Symposium on Multimedia (ISM) ;
- International Conference on MultiMedia Modeling (MMM) ;
- IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Virtual Reality (IEEE AIVR) ;
- Multimedia Evaluation Benchmark Workshop (MediaEval) ;
- International Conference on Communications [2019, 2020, 2021, 2022];
- International Workshop on Research & Innovation for Secure Societies (RISS) [2019, 2020, 2021, 2022].
- 2021: Member in the organizing comittee for the Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum (CLEF);
- 2020–2021: Member in the organizing comittee for the ImageCLEFdrawnUI task, ImageCLEF, part of the Conference and Labs of the Evaluation Forum (CLEF);
- 2019: Member in the organizing comittee for the Predicting Media Memorability Task, MediaEval Benchmarking Initiative for Multimedia Evaluation;
- 2018: Co-organizer of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), Multimedia Information Processing for Personality & Social Networks Analysis Challenge;
- 2017: Member in the organizing committee of the ACM International Conference on Multimedia Retrieval (ICMR).
Financial markets have always been a point of interest for automated systems. Due to their complex nature, financial algorithms and fintech frameworks requ...
With the recent General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) directive in European Union (EU) regarding data protection, establishing a new person identificat...
The era of big data presents an important challenge for data analysis, processing, and learning, as information become available in such a volume. In this...
Welcome to my webpage. Here, I will share my thought about the research I’m conducting, tutorials for various technologies and tools, and code samples for in...